To meet the statewide mandate, the city of Torrance and California Water Service Co. adopt much stricter provisions to cut water usage. The cuts are intended to help slash water usage statewide by 25 percent.
On May 5, 2015, the Torrance City Council approved activation of Level 2 water requirements due to the severity of the drought and to meet the new state regulations. This measure includes limiting sprinkler use on landscaping to 10 minutes between 6 p.m. and 8 a.m. two days a week, fixing leaks within four days, and restricting the refilling of ponds and pools.
Torrance residents reached only a 5 percent reduction from June 2014 through February.
Torrance Water Conservation Ordinance
Level 2 -Water Use Requirements and Regulations
Calls for up to 30 percent water use reduction
- No outside watering from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Outdoor watering limited to two days a week for 10 minutes per area or irrigation station
- Fix all leaks within four days
- No watering 48 hours after rain event
- Certain restrictions on filling and refilling of pools, spas and ponds
- Provides for administrative rules to implement the ordinance
- Permanent Requirements In Effect at all Times
- No excessive runoff from outdoor watering
- No washing of exterior surfaces
- No washing of vehicles with “open hose”
- All water features must have a re-circulating system
- Restaurants to use water conserving spray valves
- Restaurants to serve water only upon request
- Lodging business must provide option not to launder linens daily
Remember the 2-6-8-10 Plan
2 Days a week
6 PM – 8 AM Watering Times
10 Minutes/area (watering station)
Cal Water serves Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Carson and portions of Torrance, with cuts of 16 to 20 percent are targeted.