El Segundo is a city in Los Angeles County, California. Located on the Santa Monica Bay and is one of the Beach Cities of Los Angeles County and part of the South Bay Cities Council of Governments.
The El Segundo and Los Angeles coastal area was first settled by the Tongva (or GabrieleÒos) and Chumash Native American tribes hundreds of years ago. The area was once a part of Rancho San Pedro and later became Rancho Sausal Redondo (“Round Willow Patch Ranch”). Rancho Sausal Redondo extended from Playa Del Rey in the North to Redondo Beach in the South. Originally a Spanish land grant, the rancho was later purchased by a Scottish baronet named Sir Robert Burnett. After his return to Scotland, the property was purchased by then current manager of the rancho, Daniel Freeman. Daniel Freeman sold portions of the rancho to multiple owners. George H. Peck (1856ñ1940) owned the 840 acres of land the Chevron Refinery now sits on. Peck also developed land in neighboring El Porto where a street still stands to his name. The city earned its name (“the second” in Spanish) as it was the site of the second Standard Oil refinery on the West Coast (the first was at Richmond in northern California), when Standard Oil of California purchased the 840 acres of farm land in 1911. The company was renamed Chevron in 1984, and the El Segundo refinery will soon enter its second century of operation. The city was incorporated in 1917.
In 2006, El Segundo won an Eddy award for being the most business-friendly city in L.A. County. El Segundo is in transition from being a predominantly blue-collar ‘company town’ to being a ‘corporate’ town where the tax base relies on a non-resident working population. The north and south boundaries of the town are the LAX airport and Manhattan Beach, with the Pacific Ocean as the western boundary. Residents are currently active in tree-planting along Imperial Highway.
El Segundo has many aviation-related and petroleum-related industries and operations.
In 1911, Chevron began its oil refinery in El Seugndo. In 1928 William Mines, an immigrant from Canada, leased land for a flying field. In 1930 Los Angeles Municipal Airport, later Los Angeles International Airport, opened north of El Segundo; its presence led to the concentration of aerospace and aviation-related firms in the El Segundo area.
Many large aerospace companies have facilities in El Segundo, including Boeing, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and The Aerospace Corporation, which is headquartered there. It is also home to the Los Angeles Air Force Base and the Space and Missile Systems Center (SMC), which is responsible for space-related acquisition for the military. In addition to the Chevron oil refinery, El Segundo is also home to the El Segundo power plant and adjacent to the Hyperion sewage treatment plant.
The population was 16,654 at the 2010 census. There were 7,410 housing units of which 42.8% were owner-occupied, and 57.2% were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 0.4%; the rental vacancy rate was 4.1%. 49.1% of the population lived in owner-occupied housing units and 50.4% lived in rental housing units.
Reference Source: Wikipedia.org