Harbor City is a community within Los Angeles, California, and part of the Los Angeles region known as the South Bay. It is bordered on the north by Sepulveda Boulevard, the east by Vermont, the south by Anaheim Street/Palos Verdes Drive North, and to the west by Western Avenue. Harbor City is located at the foot of Palos Verdes and the suburb of Torrance; Harbor City also borders the city of Lomita and the communities of Wilmington and San Pedro. The area near Torrance (Palo Del Amo Woods) is part of a larger contiguous upper middle class neighborhood that consists of some of the wealthiest real estate in the area. Some parts of Harbor City, notably those that border Torrance and Palos Verdes (Harbor Pines), are home to the middle class suburbs, while other regions, particularly those bordered by Pacific Coast Highway north and south and by Normandie Avenue and Vermont Avenue on the east/west, are of particularly working class.
In 2009, the Los Angeles Times’s “Mapping L.A.” project supplied these Harbor City neighborhood statistics: population: 23,529; median household income: $55,447. As of the 2000 census, the community had a total population of 24,640. The ZIP Code which serves Harbor City Post is 90710.
Harbor City was originally part of the Rancho San Pedro, granted by the Spanish Empire in 1784 by King Carlos III to Juan Jose Dominguez. The rancho was divided and sold by Californios during the Spanish and Mexican periods of Alta California. After the Mexican-American war ended in 1848, many of the rancho lands were acquired by American immigrants.
By the turn of the century, Los Angeles city leaders had decided that it would be in the best interests of the city if the port and harbor areas were directly annexed. The independent cities of San Pedro (founded in the late 18th century) and Wilmington (founded in 1858 by Phineas Banning) were then independent establishments of what would become the Port of Los Angeles. Following the establishment of San Pedro as the main source for the port over Santa Monica in 1897, Los Angeles city leaders argued that direct control over the port areas would be mutually beneficial by providing San Pedro and Wilmington with larger funding and in turn allowing the city to garner more revenue via the increasing port trade. The two cities were initially reluctant to join; in 1906, frustrated by the indecision of San Pedro and Wilmington leaders, the city of Los Angeles purchased a long and narrow swath of land that connected then-South Los Angeles to San Pedro, naming the two regions Harbor Gateway and Harbor City. City leaders then threatened to build a new port in Harbor City if the recalcitrant towns would not acquiesce to annexation. Both agreed by 1909. In return, the city of Los Angeles elected to keep Harbor City as a land-locked part of the main city, linking the metropolis to its newly won ocean trading centers.
Harbor City hosts a hospital and various medical buildings in the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, located along Pacific Coast Highway, between Normandie Ave. and Vermont Ave. The Hospital is across from the Ken Malloy Memorial Park, also known as “Parque de los Patos” or “the Duck Park.” Malloy Park was also the home of the media sensation “Reggie the Alligator” who was first seen swimming in the park’s Machado Lake in August 2005. (Reggie was relocated to the Los Angeles Zoo in May 2007).
Reference source: Wikipedia