Lawndale is a city within the South Bay region of Los Angeles County, located off the 405. Lawndale is bordered by Redondo Beach on the West and Southwest, Hawthorne on the North, Torrance on the Southeast, and unincorporated area of El Camino Village (also known as Alondra Park) on the East. Lawndale is serviced by the I-405 Freeway and by Artesia Blvd., Hwy 91, which becomes the 91 Freeway further east. Lawndale is 5.7 miles SE of Los Angeles International Airport.
The weather is nice and warm all year long. In the winter time, around December to late January, there are moderate rains.
From the 1780s onward, the area that is now Lawndale was part of the Rancho Sausal Redondo, a land grant given by the Spanish colonial government that includes much of what is now the South Bayshore region.
Following the real estate boom in the Inglewood area, similar development began in the southern portion of the old Rancho, where the present City of Lawndale is located. This activity was the direct result of the opening of a seaport at Redondo in 1890, and the railroad service developing between Port Redondo and Los Angeles. Steam trains were soon replaced by electric trolley cars. The year 1902 marked the Los Angeles and Redondo railways arrival in Lawndale, running down the middle of Railway Ave, what is now Hawthorne Boulevard, until 1933. The early reliance on the Pacific Electric stimulated growth throughout Southern California and was the result of Henry Huntington’s master real estate plan.
The town of Lawndale was founded in March of 1905 by real estate developer, Charles B. Hopper who first subdivided the area and named it after a Chicago suburb. Lots sold slowly and different promotions were tried such as promoting Lawndale as a chicken raising area. After a lack of initial sales, Mr. Hopper planned another “Opening Day” for Lawndale on February 25, 1906 which drew the first settlers. By the time the 1910 U.S. census was taken there were 142 residents living in Lawndale.
Oil discoveries in the 1920’s created major commercial activity and temporarily changed the face of the community. The boom reached its peak between 1927 and 1929, and the influx of the oil workers and typical boom real estate speculation rapidly declined as the drilling subsided. During the oil period, Lawndale was easily recognizable by the landscape of oil derrick construction.
After World War II, the immense demand for housing from returning veterans and California newcomers, and the construction of the Harbor Freeway caused major growth, resulting in Lawndale’s formation as a bedroom community. On December 28, 1959 it was incorporated as a city in Los Angeles county.
Starting in the 1970s Lawndale’s relatively low housing prices but more desirable location relative to its neighboring cities attracted absentee landlords and a substantial portion of its residents increasingly became renters.
For a time in the 1980s, with new cycle of expansion of defense industry nearby, many young people who wished to live in the Beach Cities found that they simply could not afford to do so, and settled in inland cities such as Lawndale. But with the contraction of this industry after the cold war, Lawndale reverted back to its previous pattern. Lawndale has attempted to attract more owner–residents, as well as tourists with the 2003 completion of the “Beautify Lawndale” urban renewal project along the city’s stretch of Hawthorne Boulevard, a major South Bay thoroughfare.
According to the 2010 United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.0 square miles, all land.The population was 32,769 at the 2010 census, up from 31,711 according to the 2000 census. The city is in the South Bay region of the Greater Los Angeles Area. There were 10,151 housing units of which 34.4% were owner-occupied, and 65.6% were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 1.7%; the rental vacancy rate was 3.8%.
City of Lawndale website
Reference source: Wikipedia and City of Lawndale websites.