The history of Rolling Hills Estates actually dates back to the establishment of the first Spanish rancho land grant in California. Incorporated on September 18, 1957, city lines expansion seemed to threaten the atmosphere its citizens cherished and wanted to preserve. Today, Rolling Hills Estates tries to maintain a fairly bucolic character with a large number of horse paths. And while the community has undergone changes over the years, the City continues to represent the basic ideals held by the original “incorporating pioneers” while remaining responsive to the changing needs and interests of its residents.
The City takes an active role in maintaining the high quality of life that makes this community such an attractive place to live. As in the past, today’s emphasis in managing the City is placed upon preserving its rural residential character and, at the same time, providing the best possible services to its citizens. The city currently has thirty distinct neighborhoods, each with its special character, architectural style, and Homeowners’ Association. These Associations often represent citizens directly before the City Council and serve as neighborhood social organizations as well.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 9.359 square kilometers (3.6 sq mi), 0.115 km2 (0.04 sq mi) of it (1.22%) is water.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Rolling Hills Estates had a population of 8,067
There were 3,100 housing units at an average density of 857.9 per square mile (331.2/km²), of which 2,714 (91.5%) were owner-occupied, and 251 (8.5%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 1.8%; the rental vacancy rate was 4.9%
City of Rolling Hills Estates
Reference Source: Wikipedia